Policies Governing Use of Materials | Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and MuseumBilly Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum
- On first use of the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum, researchers will complete an application form. Identification is required. The information given will be reviewed by library staff from time to time, and updates may be requested.
- Coats, hats, briefcases, packages, umbrellas, packs, handbags, and all other personal property must be stored in the lockers provided. Cell phones should be placed on vibrate. Patrons should leave the reference room when answering calls to avoid disturbing our researchers.
- Researchers will fill out call slips for all requested materials and submit completed call slips to the staff member on duty.
- All collection materials will be consulted only in the reading room and must be returned to the staff member on duty before the researcher leaves the library. (Arrangements may be made to reserve materials for continued use in the near future.)
- The library may limit the number of items a researcher may request at one time.
- Eating, drinking, chewing gum and use of any form of tobacco is prohibited.
- Only soft-leaded pencils can be used. The use of pens, markers, or indelible pencils is not permitted in the reading room.
- The researcher is responsible for the careful handling of all materials made available. Manuscripts and books may not be leaned on, written on, folded, traced over, or otherwise handled in any way that may damage them. No marks may be added or erased.
- Manuscripts and archives are to be maintained in the order in which they are received by the researcher. Material which appears to be out of order should not be arranged by the researcher, but should instead be brought to the attention of the staff member on duty.
- Fragile materials require special handling; in some instances the researcher will be asked to use supports, cradles, or stands, and/or gloves while using fragile materials.
- Reference assistance as well as assistance in using public catalogs and collection finding aids is available.
- Microfilm readers, audio, and video equipment are available for use of non-print media. In some instances, advanced notice is required for equipment to be available.
- Photoduplication of special collection materials is restricted in most instances. Ask the staff member on duty about reproduction of materials. (Photocopying and scanning is available for a fee and is completed by the library staff.) No photography (including videotaping) is permitted in the library without permission.
- Materials from this repository should be cited as follows: The Ohio State University Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum, [name of the collection]
- Other conditions or restrictions may apply to the use of special collections. Please see a staff member on duty for more information.
- Because of the nature of the reference rooms and materials in special collections, researchers are asked not to bring children with them while they conduct their research. Children are welcome to visit the public areas during this time.